galaxy image BitWorks Music sounds for your world

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

True Secrets of the Music Industry

Here at BitWorks we rarely reveal the true (and deadly) secrets of the music industry, but today I'm in a pretty good mood, so you're in luck! Behold:

I can neither confirm nor deny any past, present, or future ninja associations, which of course means I am true ninja.

In other news, today's local paper has this story about a pending $12.5M settlement against major broadcasters accused of taking payments for playing and promoting certain artists, a practice known as "payola". "This is the largest collective fine in the history of American broadcasting," said FCC member Jonathan Adelstein.

I long ago abandoned hope for commercial radio in this country. While there are a few bright spots of innovation (and I struggle to name one, sorry), corporate music is by its nature, well, corporate, meaning: profit driven, self serving, exploitive, homogeneous, insipid, boring, and a lot of other things I would rather not print here. Alas, there is hope. You're surfing in it!

No comments: