galaxy image BitWorks Music sounds for your world

Thursday, June 07, 2007

New Free MP3--Circle of Willis



Circle of Willis, represented here by myself (David Oskardmay), Brian Preston, and John Ornelas, recorded this improv a few weeks ago. It's actually 2 tracks: the initial "space" and then the mostly percussion overdub, both recorded with a single stereo mic. It was the first thing Brian and I recorded in the morning, with the ambient outdoor noises filtering through. We liked it enough to wake John up before noon (before noon!) to add his percussive flavorings. I decided to include the entire 10:22 as our free MP3 track. So go ahead, download it or stream it if you aren't operating heavy machinery or performing brain surgery at the moment. If you are attempting either of those things, I cannot be held responsible for any damages. Actually, this might make the perfect brain surgery soundtrack.

Update: after listening to this a few more times, I get a feel for how a real mix might sound, as this is really just the raw bits from a few weeks ago. My strategy with improvs is generally to edit down to only the tastiest parts. If we play long enough, eventually something phenomenal happens along, or not, but in this case it seems to be pretty happnin'. We had some help from the crickets outside--you can hear them too, as we had the patio door open.

Update to my update: and now for something completely different. I know I have been making a habit of ragging on DRM lately, and I really didn't wake up today with the intention of kicking sand in the face of DRM again. It's just too easy, but then I saw this hilarious article that includes this classic:

Believing in a DRM business model is like joining Star Fleet security, putting on your red shirt, and volunteering to beam down to the new unexplored planet with Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Someone will be coming back from that mission, it's just not likely to be the security guard.

No comments: