galaxy image BitWorks Music sounds for your world

Monday, September 24, 2007

No Time Like the Future



Today's YouTubeness (with thanks for the link from BoingBoing.net) is a SNL performance by Devo covering "Satisfaction". I guess I'm on a covers kick or something. These guys were always ahead of their time, and I guess they're still ahead of their time today! What's interesting is that even though they were all about the "future", at this point in their devolution they were entirely guitar-based.

I saw Devo back in 1980 as google so kindly reminds me. One game we used to play at Merriweather Post Pavillion in my hometown of Columbia, MD, was seeing how close we could get to the stage, eluding the ushers and security people. For this show I had seats pretty far back, but at the opportune moment I zipped up to the pit, the front row in fact. Usually this would last only a bit until the rightful seat owners returned to kick us out, but as luck would have it they never showed up.

No comments: