galaxy image BitWorks Music sounds for your world

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Passings

I was very sorry to hear of the passing this week of Triangle area drummer Kevin Brock. Bandmate AC Bushnell sent this tribute to Kevin:

Kevin was such a bright light. It's hard to know why anyone's time is up when it is. I am comforted only by the thought that his shining spirit goes on. Still it is not easy for the people who love him.

Kevin was also incredibly supportive of my music and when I asked him to be in the HappyJoy Band, he said, "AC, I love your music and I'm a hundred percent for you. I am there, man." That was Kevin, one of the world's nicest people --- a great guy and a great drummer with a delicate touch who could always really bring it. All I can think is let's really enjoy and cherish each other while we're here. I am so sad at his passing.


AC Bushnell's HappyJoy band will be playing a performance in Kevin's honor on Thursday, December 4th at the Blue Bayou Club in Hillsborough, including musicians Mitch Rothrock, Lance Ashley, Robert Sledge and Rob Ladd.

In other news, Mitch Mitchell, drummer and last remaining member of the Jimi Hendrix Experience, passed away at age 61. Mitch was traveling with the Experience Hendrix Tour at the time. From the AP story (see link):

Mitchell was a powerful force on the Hendrix band's 1967 debut album "Are You Experienced?" as well as the trio's albums "Electric Ladyland" and "Axis: Bold As Love." He had an explosive drumming style that can be heard in hard-charging songs such as "Fire" and "Manic Depression."

The Englishman had been drumming for the Experience Hendrix Tour, which performed Friday in Portland. It was the last stop on the West Coast part of the tour.


It is impossible to underestimate the impact of Jimi Hendrix's work in the development of rock music. Mitchell's steady contribution was something many of us grew up with, an iconic influence. I still remember when I was about 12 years old, lucky to come across the Hendrix album "Smash Hits", an instant favorite on my turntable. Yes kids, back then we had turntables, not just club DJs. Those round vinyl things, we called them records.

No comments: